[Zope] Re: Using GPL'd modules with Zope?

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:58:38 -0500

Derek Basch wrote:
> Everyone seems to disagree but it looks like I cant
> use GPL'd Products without GPL'ing the entire zope
> installation. Anyone care to dispute this?

I certainly will.  The GPL doesn't kick in unless you are *distributing*
the GPLed code, and using it to run a website doesn't count as
distribution.  You can *use* GPL'd Products with Zope, Apache, or even
totally closed binaries.

Of course, if you *are* planning on packaging up GPL'd code with Zope or
other code and selling/giving the combination away, you do need to be
sure all of the licences are compatible (Zope 2.5+'s ZPL 2.0 licence is
officially GPL-compatible).

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am