[Zope] Zope products, ZClasses, Database rows, XML or what?

Dylan Reinhardt Dylan@DylanReinhardt.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:04:50 -0700

My $.02:

Obviously, whatever you feel comfortable in is going to be the best
solution for you.

Even so, Zope is clearly the superior choice.  :-)

If you want to do anything moderately interesting, my very best advice
would be to get to work learning Python and start making products.  As nice
as Zclasses are for getting going quickly, products are where the real
power of Zope is.

That said, making effective products involves not only understanding Zope,
but Python and OO programming.  Some books I'd recommend:

Learning Python, Mark Lutz
Python Standard Library, Fredrick Lundh
Design Patterns, Gamma et al.

OK, so Design Patterns isn't exactly light reading.  But if you really want
to see the logic behind how Zope is set up, it's all in there.  Zope and
Python are very heavily engineered environments and understanding the
theory is a great way to get going in them.

There are also at least five books on Zope out there, a couple of which
give some pretty thorough treatment to products.

HTH,

Dylan