[Zope] Hosting files sitting out in the OS file structure from Zope

Mike Renfro renfro@tntech.edu
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 09:49:10 -0500

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:41:39AM -0700, Robert_J_Roberts@RL.gov wrote:

> I thought I was well on the way to solving the issue by using
> Apache, mod_rewrite, and SiteBase.  Much to my surprise, I ended up
> with Apache serving Zope content and NOT the other way around.

But that is the expected result, even if it's not what you really
wanted.

To my knowledge, Zope has very little in the way of HTTP proxying
(httpmounter is the *only* one, I think) and quite a bit more in the
way of mounting local filesystems into the ZODB (LocalFS, ExtFile,
etc.)

Zope's HTTP server also hasn't been under as much scrutiny as
Apache's, so it's a common practice to have Apache/Squid in front of
it, sanitizing any malformed requests ahead of time.

In any case, the Zope via Apache method also gives me php, servlet,
and UserDir lookups. Though *my* site's original content is almost
exclusively Zope currently, I still need to support various php
applications and I'd like to provide a variety of methods for my users
to get their own content up. With RewriteRules, I can even have my
main webserver front for web services on entirely different machines
(for example, if mrtg ran on an isolated host with no file server
access).

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu