[Zope] Re: CSV (Was: Perl scripts)

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:30:12 +0200

Hi Andreas,

--On Montag, 21. Oktober 2002 11:34 +0200 Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>> Still, if you want to _create_ csv from database, you sure dont need
>> perl. Remember the overhead of calling a foreign interpreter
>> just for generation of a text string which could be done in python
>> easyly, without even requiring external methods. You only have to
>> analyze the output of your perl script and make your python method
>> output the same. This schould not be so hard.
> For sure I will not use Perl for creating CSV.  This would be *really*
> stupid.  On the other hand I observed that creating the CSV from larger
> data sets was *very* slow (unacceptable long download time :-().  So
> I have to do something here ...

Ah yes, we do similar here - creating an average big csv file from
shop system (prices, descriptions etc.) for 15000 lines.
We do it by starting with a query which is limited to 100 lines,
sending the stuff via request.write() then do the next query with
offset 100, limit 200, then sending, then next query with offset 300,
limit 400 and so on. You get the picture. This way the transfer starts
almost immediately and looks like it is continous to the user.