Python on multi-processor machines (Was Re: [Zope] Re: Windows vs. Linux)

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 07:54:02 +0100

--On 29 August 2002 10:42 -0400 Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> wrote:

> The GIL *is* widely known, and there's nothing that can be done about
> it (without redesigning all of Python's runtime from scratch, anyway).

I think we can agree that the GIL is now better known than
it was - at least to people who've arrived at Zope from
a content management direction rather than a Python direction.

I've updated
<http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris/report_ps>
to include Tim Hoffman's helpful item on processor sets
and created
<http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris/multiproc>
in an effort to capture the gist of the present thread.

Thanks to all who chipped in,

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/