[Zope] Attrib exceptions and None objects under heavy load?

Etienne Labuschagne ELabuschagne@gims.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:56:05 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C25338.80197060

Thanks for the reply and sorry about the HTML (had Outlook re-installed
recently).

Yes, I do mean ZODB (just wanted to indicate that I am using it in a Zope
context and not stand-alone).

I'll try and compile a test case as suggested by Toby and see if I can
reproduce the problem.

B.t.w. the only possibly "interesting" (read unstable ;) product I have
installed is my own!  So I AM probably the cause of my own problem (not that
it takes me nearer to the solution though).

What I also did not mention is that I am adding and retrieving the messages
through XML-RPC, don't know if that's got anything to do with my problem
though.

I have in the mean time started moving the finely grained stuff over to a
relational DB (yuck) and that should help.

I saw that the data.fs file grew quite rapidly with a lot of finely grained
operations, what's the best way to curb this?  Packing every now and again?
How do I do that programatically?

Regards
Etienne

>Etienne,

>Firstly, please don't post in HTML.

>Etienne Labuschagne wrote:
>> Hmm, it seems as if I am the only one with this problem.

>Seems so, you got any interesting Products or External Methods (or
>pactches/monkey fixes/etc) installed?

>> It is probably best to move the very finely grained data into a
>> relational type DB - I'm not sure that Zope is great for a lot of small
>> object creation/deletion cycles anyway.

>I presume you mean 'ZODB', not 'Zope'. And I'd disagree. The number of
>creation/deletion cycles only influences the size at which a filestorage
will grow.

>cheers,

>Chris

------_=_NextPart_001_01C25338.80197060

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [Zope] Attrib exceptions and None objects under heavy =
load?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks for the reply and sorry about the HTML (had =
Outlook re-installed recently).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yes, I do mean ZODB (just wanted to indicate that I =
am using it in a Zope context and not stand-alone).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'll try and compile a test case as suggested by Toby =
and see if I can reproduce the problem.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>B.t.w. the only possibly &quot;interesting&quot; =
(read unstable ;) product I have installed is my own!&nbsp; So I AM =
probably the cause of my own problem (not that it takes me nearer to =
the solution though).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What I also did not mention is that I am adding and =
retrieving the messages through XML-RPC, don't know if that's got =
anything to do with my problem though.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have in the mean time started moving the finely =
grained stuff over to a relational DB (yuck) and that should =
help.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I saw that the data.fs file grew quite rapidly with a =
lot of finely grained operations, what's the best way to curb =
this?&nbsp; Packing every now and again?&nbsp; How do I do that =
programatically?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Regards</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Etienne</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Etienne,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Firstly, please don't post in HTML.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Etienne Labuschagne wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; Hmm, it seems as if I am the only one with =
this problem.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Seems so, you got any interesting Products or =
External Methods (or </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;pactches/monkey fixes/etc) installed?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; It is probably best to move the very finely =
grained data into a </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; relational type DB - I'm not sure that Zope =
is great for a lot of small </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; object creation/deletion cycles =
anyway.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;I presume you mean 'ZODB', not 'Zope'. And I'd =
disagree. The number of </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;creation/deletion cycles only influences the =
size at which a filestorage will grow.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;cheers,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Chris</FONT>