[Zope] Kaivo Document Library customisation?

Richard Hewison Richard.Hewison@luton.ac.uk
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:21:24 +0100

I've been able to customise a fair amount of the standard Kaivo Document
Library product to meet our own needs, but have now hit the limit of my
current knowledge and understanding. The author of the product (Casey
Duncan) has kindly dropped a few suggestions to me in the past, but I
still don't understand how to achieve what he has suggested.

What I'm trying to do is automate an email to be sent to the author of
a submitted document 6 months afterwards to say "Please re-visit your
document".

I added 'email' to the DL document properties and the 'document_submit'
form, and the 'created_date' is already defined in the DL product.

I created a simple 'sendmail' dtml document (using a Mail host object)
which automatically sends an email to the librarian (me at the moment!)
from the author's email address. This tells me whenever a document has
been submitted to the library, so I can go and approve or decline it.

Casey's suggestion was to create a dtml method within the Document
Library that queries the library for old documents and then sends the
author an email. You then use the OS command line utility 'wget' in a
script to execute the dtml method periodically via a cron job on the
server.

We could get the email sent from outside of Zope, but it is probably
neater for everything to be done inside and just use 'wget' to run the
method automatically.

The bare minimum info we need from the document library Document Store
object (which is called 'Documents') is 'email', 'review_date',
'filename' and 'title' for each and every document file (word, excel or
pdf file) inside it. Trouble is, I don't understand enough about how the
DL product works. I know that the 'Documents' Document store object
isn't a normal folder but I have no idea where to start on examining it
and getting the info out!

Richard Hewison