[Zope] why shall I use Zope?

Johan Carlsson [Torped] johanc@torped.se
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:49:08 +0200

At 16:11 2002-09-10 +0800, Newbie wrote:
>thanks for your reply.
>
>I've been looking around zope for more than 3 months and I like its
>architecture.
>I look deeper and have found CMF. It is also very interesting.
>
>But at the first look, 2nd look and further looks into CMF are not enough=
>make me understand on how to use its component and how to customize it.
>so, the lack of documentation has made study journey become much longer.
>
>On the other hand, I've just tried the easy publisher through the response
>of this case for 1 hour.
>Wow.. excellent. It just make my life much easier.

Wow, thanks :-)
Can we quote you on this?

>so, my question:
>-Can CMF do what easy publisher is doing?

Yes, but you have to implement it first.
Before we started to build EasyPublisher we had looked at CMF
(spending allot of time trying to figure it out mostly reading the source).
We did concluded that it would be easier to build the functionality we
wanted directly with Zope than try to use CMF to build it.
This assessment is in my opinion still a valid.

FYI. We (the Easy Publisher Team) intend to integrate with CMF
which would give some interesting cross breed features.
(The EasyEditor as a CMF action, and EasyTemplates as portal_skins etc.)
This will probably happen in the next release, but I doubt we'll be able to
integrate all aspects of CMF though. Join the EasyTalk mailing list to be=
 kept
posted on this. (http://www.easypublisher.com/)

>-Or what  is the advantage of CMF compared to easy publisher?

I (my very humble opinion) feel CMF is not a CMS but more the original
Portal Toolkit (which was the initial name of CMF).
CMF is an excellent piece of software for building content and user=
 originated
portal and communities (much like zope.org, which CMF is derived from).
CMF is not a Content Managements System.

Easy Publisher intends to be an out-of-the-box CMS targeting two
distinct user groups: content contributors (authors/reviewers) and
web designers (with an Easy to use template system).
One of Easy Publisher success factors is speed of production and
low dependance on consultants. (Something that CMF doesn't provide)

Easy Publisher is commercial, but as we see it we have just bundled
our consultants services, and to a much lower cost that our services
would cost doing the same work from scratch with CMF.

>-From my blind experience (and not through the real test), I feel easy
>publisher works faster than CMF.

That's our subjective opinion as well. All though it's possible to develop
templates that are equally slow in Easy Publisher.
The default templates are relatively light weight.

Regards,
Johan Carlsson

--=20
Torped Strategi och Kommunikation AB