[Zope] Re: Zope Myths?

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:30:20 -0400

The argument is that Page Templates are xhtml (or just xml) with the adde=
d TAL=20
and METAL namespaces. So the only "proprietary" part of page templates ar=
e=20
the contents of the tal expressions.

Since these are just text and applications other than Zope can simply ign=
ore=20
the tal namespace entirely and still have valid xhtml, then page template=
s=20
are standards conforming.

Whereas DTML code is not valid xhtml or xml or even sgml, nor is it requi=
red=20
to be, so it is "proprietary" that is, contrived without conforming to=20
established standards.

So, from this definition page templates are not proprietary.

-Casey

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 12:16 pm, Charlie Reiman wrote:
> It's kinda true. But DTML is used throughout Zope's ZMI and countless 3=
rd
> party products. In addition, DTML is a generic macro language and is us=
eful
> in places ZPT can't go, such as ZSQL methods.
>=20
> DTML may be depricated but it's not going away anytime soon no matter h=
ow
> much people would like it to.
>=20
> I do wonder though, is ZPT any less proprietary than DTML?
>=20

TML?