[Zope] Re: IPython question with zope

Fernando Perez fperez@pizero.colorado.edu
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:16:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, keo@arisztid.mentha.hu wrote:

> so ... my problem is .... i want to use the medusa monitor of zope ... with
> ipython ..
>
> ipython is cool it contains lots of useful stuff like tab completion for
> everything, dumping of objects, etc
>
> but the problem is ipython doesnt echo to my terminal the stuff what the
> monitor client echoes .. only when i press ctrl-c, it ouputs everything in
> a bunch like this:
>
> Output messages. Log by User File Execution:
>
> warning: unhandled connect event
> Python 2.1.3 (#1, Apr 15 2002, 11:13:45)
> [GCC 2.7.2.3]
> Copyright (c) 2001-2002 Python Software Foundation.
> All Rights Reserved.
>
> [...]
>

> this is actually an ipython problem, but perhaps someone knows the answer
> here.

I'm really sorry but I don't use zope (don't even have it installed) so at
this point it's really a shot in the dark for me as to what the origin of the
problem may be. Maybe someonelse in the zope community uses ipython and has
some suggestions. <plug> For those who don't know it, ipython
(http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython) is a replacement for the
interactive python shell with a bunch of enhancements </plug>.

Some ideas which may or may not help: ipython captures all output produced
during the startup process in order to preserve the order of the information
coming to the screen. But it then reprints nicely formatted all that output
(both stdout and stderr) so that nothing should be lost. In order to test
whether this is the problem, you may try to change in the ipython startup
script (find it with 'which ipython') the line:

IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop()

to:

IPython.Shell.IPShell(debug=1).mainloop()

That turns the output capturing system off. If this doesn't make a difference,
I'm sorry but I don't know what the problem may be. After startup ipython
leaves stdout and stderr alone, so I don't know. But as I said, I know zero
about zope, maybe others here will be of more help.

Please let me know if you do find a solution: if the problem is really an
ipython bug, I'd like to include a fix in future releases.

Cheers,

f.