[Zope] Unicode/string question

Chris Muldrow cmuldrow@fredericksburg.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:50:35 -0400

I'm having unicode troubles, and I'm not sure if I'm running into a "Zope
doesn't do that" problem or perhaps I'm just an idiot.

Basically, I've an external method called xmlheadparse, which returns a list
of lists of headlines and URLs, given a an xml file on our server.
[[Headline here, url here],[headline2 here, url2 here]]
I process the list into an html page of links with the following Zope Python
script, where urlfeed is the name of the xml file I want to display:

returnedhtml=""
storypooge=context.xmlheadparse('/var/www/ap/'+urlfeed)
for x in range(len(storypooge)):
    returnedhtml=returnedhtml+'&#149 <a
href="/News/apmethods/apstory?urlfeed='
    url=context.nntpnamestripper(storypooge[x][1])
    headline=storypooge[x][0]
    returnedhtml=returnedhtml+url+'">'+headline+'</a><br />\n'
return returnedhtml

This works fine with English text, but I also have Spanish headlines in some
of the files. When run through this script, I get the following error:
 Error Type: UnicodeError
Error Value: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

The weird thing is, I can get just the unicode headline to display, but not
concatenated into the rest of the stuff. I can't seem to encode all of the
pieces into the same format. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Chris