[Zope] RAMCacheManager Vs Cache manager in control panel

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:14:17 -0700

I'm no expert on this but here is how I understand Zope's caching situation.

The cache settings in the control panel relate to the ZODB. Objects live in
the ZODB and get pulled out as needed, then tossed. While they are live,
they live in the cache.

RAMCache takes things a step further. You can cache the results of
evalutating a URL. So if you have an object that generates content but
always does the same thing, you can place it in the RAMCache and zope can
bypass all the computation of evaulating the object. As a for instance:
Suppose you have an object that displays a list of all objects in a folder.
If the folder's content never changes, the result of evaulating the object
itself will also never change so it's a waste of cycles to keep evalutating
it. So you can place it in a RAMCache.

None of this has much to do with client side caching, for which you'd need
the Accelerated HTTP cache object (which IMHO is poorly named).

Charlie.