[Zope] List of "current" and deprecated products?

David Mitchell djmitchell@optushome.com.au
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:35:58 +1000

(snip)

> > Is a list of current and deprecated products held in some central
> > place?  I don't monitor the release of new products religiously, so
> > I'm using those products that are covered in (outdated?)
> > documentation rather than continually checking to see if there's
> > something newer & better around.
>
> There's clearly a gap.  This is an opportunity for someone.  They don't
> call it open source for nuthin!

Agree completely, Mark!  Unfortunately, this particular opportunity has the
following characteristics:
- it'll always be at least slightly out of date, meaning the maintainer will
get hit with the metaphorical stick on a regular basis by ungrateful people
(e.g. "Why are you recommending X?  Don't you know Y is out?  Don't you know
ANYTHING?...")
- in order to create such a list, you'd have to be across an enormously
diverse group of products.  I doubt whether any one person has that breadth
of knowledge, save possibly someone working at zope.com fielding obscure
support or technical questions day after day
- to maintain the list, you'd have to have sufficient knowledge to not need
to use it yourself.  In other words, you'd be providing a service that you
yourself wouldn't need to use.  That's a BIG ask of just about anyone, unless
they're getting paid to do it.

Hopefully someone from zope.com will think "What a great idea!" and take it
on as a skunkworks project.  I can dream, can't I?

Regards

Dave M.