[Zope] Re: newbies question on ZODB

Paul Tiemann pault@center7.com
19 Sep 2002 11:37:09 -0600

>I need to allow users to store  large amounts of files (PDF, doc) in a
>database (or directory), with several information linked to the file
>(author, title, description ...). Then Index the content of the files
>to be able to search.

It sounds like you'll want to take a look at Casey Duncan's
DocumentLibrary product:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/nlada-library/

>Would it be advisable to use the ZODB to store these files (say more
>than 5.000 files or +/- 1 GB)  ? How would you link the additional
>information to the file and catalog the whole file content ?

With the DocumentLibrary now you have both options.  The default is to
store documents in the ZODB, but there is a patch (by Robin Farine)
which lets you store them on the filesystem outside of the ZODB.  My
personal preference is to keep my ZODB smaller, so I'd store the
documents on the filesystem, but that's just my opinion, and others
might disagree...

;) Paul