[Zope] zope freezes

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:39:06 +0200

Sebastian Lühnsdorf wrote:
> hi!
>
> we are still having problems with freezing zope servers. we are relaying
> requests to an http server in the intranet, that means we are retrieving the
> page via httplib. under some circumstances, i.e. with slow pages and several
> concurrent requests, Zope freezes completely (all threads) until the requested
> page is fully processed. If somebody has experienced likewise and/or has any
> info or help.

The cause of the freeze should be that all of zope's worker threads are,
well, working. I guess you know that since you increased that value in
the config.

There may be other tricks you can play, but here's what I can tell you:

- Use timeoutsocket.py (-> google) to pose a timeout on hanging
requests. This is only usefull if your external server is really
slow/hangs and you can afford not to display you external pages if that
happens.

- Modify you product/external method to cache the pages, see for
instance the zope product KebasData how to do that.

-  retrieve the external pages through a proxycache like squid.

- Let an external (to zope) job retrieve the pages regularly and publish
them through something like LocalFS (there's a newer product, just
forgot it's name).

HTH,
oliver