[Zope] Major problems with slow catalog querie

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:38:04 -0400

On Friday 20 September 2002 07:44 am, Gitte Wange wrote:
[snip]
>=20
> P.S. We are desperate to make the site run faster - we just don't know
> how. Our server has 512 MB RAM in it so ..

Tweaking the ZODB cache is all well and good, but I'm not sure it will ma=
ke a=20
dramatic improvement (but it might, you never know).

Are you doing any sort of page caching in front of Zope, either using Squ=
id or=20
Apache/mod_proxy? This can make a huge difference in performance. And jus=
t=20
setting up the caching servers are not enough, you also need to setup cac=
hing=20
policies using HTTP Cache Managers.

Even if you don't have a caching server, setting up RAM Caches for freque=
ntly=20
called scripts and page templates containing canned queries (like latest=20
news, lists of objects, etc) can be a big win. HTTP Cache Managers can be=
=20
still be used on images, static files, and even semi-static pages to tell=
 the=20
browsers to cache them and refresh them only at controlled intervals.

Here is some add't info:

http://www.zope.org/Members/rbeer/caching
http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/howto/squid

hth,