[Zope] w3c validation and <base .../> tag

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:37:48 -0700

This has been an issue for a while, it turns out. I found this message on
the www-validator mailing list archives, dated over two years ago.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2000JanMar/0082.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2000JanMar/0068.html
...etc... (search for '<base')

I don't know what the right answer here is. XHTML is not HTML. They're
really close and browsers should be able to render either but, when you get
down to it they just aren't the same. Zope's position of assuming XHTML
forces people (sort-of) to use XHTML if they want to use a validator.

Perhaps another option would be to make zope have an option to spit out the
' /' or not rather than requiring source code changes. Alas, this would also
affect other products. Image, for example, also spits out ' />'.

I'm assuming the Zope position must be that it is targeting XHTML and
developers should do likewise if they want to get validated. I've never
noticed such a message anywhere but that seems to be the case.