[Zope] Newbie: Case independent URLs?

Robert Allyn allyn@speakeasy.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:45:42 -0700

I agree it is a hassle.  But...

My most important "customer" is 60 - 90 years old, often having just started to use a computer.  For them typing, let alone email and the web are all new.  They tend to exchange web page URL's via 'snail' mail, or over the phone.  The chance of them using upper case when it is not needed is pretty high.  I get a number of 404 errors in my log from users typing in the wrong case in a URL.  Because it is all new to them, they figure they did it wrong and give up.  I need to accommodate these people for the site to be useable.

That is why I am willing to jump through some hoops to make this work.

 From a brief look around, it seems IIS and Apache on Windows are case insensitive, as the OS is too dumb to know the difference.

- Robert