[Zope] Help with CVS ZEO2 Client, Server on same Win32 machin e

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:01:22 -0700

Why does running zope as a service on win32 suck?  I have had good luck with
my setup - zope 2.4.3, NT4, no ZEO.

Thanks - Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Withers [mailto:chrisw@nipltd.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 6:06 AM
To: Jeff Kowalczyk
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Help with CVS ZEO2 Client, Server on same Win32
machine

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> 1c) Zope runs as a service, shut down before any of the following steps.

Ouch. Don't do this unless you _really_ have to. Running as a service sucks
in
so many special ways :-S

> 4) I open a command prompt and type:
> C:\Program Files\Zope>bin\python.exe lib/python/ZEO/start.py -p 8800
> (there is no display of status, but I don't get the cursor back. Is it
> running?)

Probably. Set a STUPID_LOG_FILE at check what ends up in there. You should
get
some messages saying that ZEO is serving a storage on a port.

> 5) I open another command prompt and type:
> C:\Program Files\Zope>bin\python.exe lib/python/ZEO/start.py -p 8800
> I get a Win32 error/stop dialog with the following error.
> "This application has failed to start because tk83.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Uninstall Pythonwin for bnow and see if this goes away.

Also, try the following as it has the correct slashes:
C:\Program Files\Zope>bin\python.exe lib\python\ZEO\start.py -p 8800

BTW, why are you trying to start two storage servers? You want one storage
server and one or more clients...

> 6) In a browser, the ZMI doesn't respond:
> http://localhost:8080/manage

Funny that ;-)

cheers,

Chris

PS: Where did you put your custom_zodb.yp file?
PPS: Look at using INSTANCE_HOME's, the fact that you're not may be what's
fouling you up...