[Zope] Web application for Property company

Meilicke, Scott scott.meilicke@intp.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:29:21 -0700

Here's my 5 minute take on this, and I don't consider myself very
knowledgeable at the moment, so...

0. Yes, zope and the cmf would be very appropriate for this.
1. After building an Intranet with cmf1.1, I would definitely recommend
plone - much easier out of the box experience.
2. Don't allow anonymous to join the portal (security tab from the root of
your portal)
3. I'm not terribly sure how to do agentA.propertyportal.com, but search the
archives for sub portals, or have something like apache rewrite rules point
agentA.propertyportal.com to a page that shows only agentA items. Something
like agentA.propertyportal.com -> index_html?agent=agentA.  index_html would
have a method(s) to use the zcatalog, showing only agentA properties.
4a. Modify the image object to store information about a property (goto
portal_types, create a new type based on image, rename the existing
properties, create new view and edit methods).  May also use the CMFPhoto
product - I haven't used it before, just the photo product, which I like.
It allows for image resizing, so the agents could upload any sized image,
and have the image displayed to users in a consistent size.
4b. Or create a new product that has more properties (as in zope properties,
not land) than the default image type provides.  CMFPhoto may support this
without creating a product - the Photo product does.

Python is pretty easy, it is the integration with zope that is sometimes
confusing (for me anyway).  Definitely read the zope developers guide and
the zope book before you do much else.

Regarding the (lack of) documentation, there is a wide variety of cmf docs
out there, just mostly in the mailing lists, so it is disorganized.  But
fortunately the list can point you in the right direction, as you have
already seen...

Scott