[Zope] Ram cache and ZPT

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:31:28 -0700

> You can't cache macros, if that's what you mean.  Because of the way
> page template macros work, their execution can't be managed by a cache
> manager.  Entire templates, on the other hand, can be cached.
>
> Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks Shane, thats the answer I suspected.

This really raises the issue then of caching a site. In the old days a page
would be made up of DTML objects. It was a simple matter then to profile a
page and stick anything that wasnt dynamic into a ram cache. The end result
was the home page of ZopeZen.org was 80% ram cached and about 20% dynamic
(basically your name and options). This was a very quick, powerful and
useful way to increase performance.

Unless there's something Im missing about the way Page Templates work, it
now means I can either cache my entire template (not possible) or none of
it. My only choice is to cache some of the underlying bits such as some
Python Scripts.

I'll enter a bug in the collector and grumble.
--
  Andy McKay
  www.agmweb.ca