[Zope] sessions and disabled cookies

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:00:57 +0200

Tim Hicks wrote:
> I think this is a lost cause, but I have the following problem.
>
> I want to use sessions to store a 'flash-enabled' true or false value so I
> know what content to serve up.  No problem so far.  If the SESSION object
> doesn't have a 'flash' key and there is nothing in the request (query
> string), I want to redirect to a detection page that then sends the user on
> to either a flash enabled or disabled page.  Still no problem.
>
> The problem is, if the user is blocking cookies, then they'll be forced
> through this procedure *every* time they follow a link on my site :-(.  I
> can't use the urlencode() method as links will be embedded in content and my
> authors are not smart enough to do this.
>
> Is there any way I can tell server side if the user is blocking my cookies?
>
> cheers,

Can you *ahem* convince your editors to only use relative links?
If so, you could, use a structure like this at the top level of your site:

/contentfolder - here's your real content
/flash_site - with boolean property "flash", otherwise empty
/noflash_site - with no property
index_html - python script

Use the python script to redirect to either
/flash_site/contentfolder or /noflash_site/contentfolder

HTH,
oliver