[Zope] Some Q about Zope under Linux

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 05:45:04 -0500

>  1. Where can I find my files that I created in ZOPE (i.e
>  index_html, login_html, etc)

Those aren't files: they're objects. They reside in the Zope Object
Database, which by default is stored in zope/var/Data.fs though there
are products to store such objects as files on your filesystem. LocalFS,
for example.

>  2. Can I change my url of Zope from http://localhost:8080/portal to
>  http://localhost/portal ?

You can set this by command-line parameters to z2.py, which is best done
by editing your start script. Note that using a priviledged port (80)
requires some security wrangling. Read docs/SETUID.txt for more info.

>  3. Can I move my files from ZOPE under Linux to ZOPE under Windows
>  without any configuration?

Almost always. The CMF in the past has has some issues with this with
regard to skins, and some products have platform dependancies. But
non-core products aside, yes.

>  4. Can I created mail server / mailing list server under ZOPE?
>     how?

Zope's a web server. It can provide clients (webmail) and administration
for mail servers and lists (esp. mailman), and send mail (via the
dtml-sendmail tag), but it won't be a mail server for you. Search the
Products on zope.org for appropriate products, and read the Zope Book
for more on sending mails from DTML through a MailHost.

            --jcc