[Zope] ZRTChat content to external files?

hpinson@indepthl.com hpinson@indepthl.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:51:26 -0600

Hi, I am using ZRTChat.  This product, though very simple, really
seems to work well.  I've cleaned up the interface, and it may be
viable in production.  The only undesirable feature that I can see is
that it fills up the ZODB with chat, that is, logs all chat messages
internally to Zope.  In a heavy chat situation, this would fill up
Zope rather quickly.

My question-- ZRTChat stores each chat message in a standard Zope
folder object.  Would it be possible to replace that folder with some
sort of external file product that would allow these messages to be
stored externally to Zope?  What would that product be?

I have used the ExtFile Product, but only to read files that are
stored externally.  I have no idea if it allows you to write external
files.

To all potential Zope chat product developers-- things I would like
to see in future Zope chat products are threaded dialogs (each user
displays as a different color), a list of who is available for chat,
and private chat.

Harlow Pinson
Indepth Learning
Email: hpinson@indepthl.com