[Zope] ZRTChat content to external files?

Geir Bækholt Geir Bækholt
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:42:18 +0200

On  Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:51:26 -0600 GMT (..16:51 where i live(GMT+1) )

hic> Hi, I am using ZRTChat.  This product, though very simple, really
hic> seems to work well.  I've cleaned up the interface, and it may be
hic> viable in production.  The only undesirable feature that I can see is
hic> that it fills up the ZODB with chat, that is, logs all chat messages
hic> internally to Zope.  In a heavy chat situation, this would fill up
hic> Zope rather quickly.

hic> My question-- ZRTChat stores each chat message in a standard Zope
hic> folder object.  Would it be possible to replace that folder with some
hic> sort of external file product that would allow these messages to be
hic> stored externally to Zope?  What would that product be?

hic> I have used the ExtFile Product, but only to read files that are
hic> stored externally.  I have no idea if it allows you to write external
hic> files.

hic> To all potential Zope chat product developers-- things I would like
hic> to see in future Zope chat products are threaded dialogs (each user
hic> displays as a different color), a list of who is available for chat,
hic> and private chat.

I have made an alternative (unreleased) chat thet uses Zope's
Temporary Folders to store messages with great success.. As the
messages live in RAM, the amount has to be limited, but for a
'relatime' chat this is no problem. On upside of having messages in
RAM though, is that they are rally fast to access :)

I have also done some testing of using XML-RPC from javascript to make
for a more smooth interface, but it seems to be troublesome to get
working for more that MsIE and Mozilla 1.0 +

:)

--
Geir Bækholt