[Zope] Apache 1.3 v. apache 2x front end for zope?

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:39:46 +0200

Nagle, Robert wrote:
> When using apache as a front end for a zope-based cms, are there any
> significant  advantages/problems  to using apache 2.0 v. apache 1.3?

I think I have posted something about my troubles with apache earlier.
Maybe not, because I had also troubles with mozilla at that time- so
maybe the following is just me ;).

Apache2, as it comes with suse 8.1, has shortcomings (read:
not-yet-implemented features) which may give some trouble with typical
zope usage. The combination on-disk caching, mod_proxy and virtual hosts
didn't work. I found a mail on some apache list which confirms this. The
problem is it looked ok (files were written in the cache directory etc.)
but it never delivered cached content. Nasty one, because it's not too
obvious to find that out.

When I did find out after much hairpulling that this was indeed not a
config error of mine, I apruptly ended my short liason with apache2 and
went back to apache1.

Newer versions of apache2 might be better, but I as of now I don't need
any of the new features, so it's apache1 for me.

cheers,
oliver