[Zope] ZEO hogging too much memory

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:02:05 +0200

Wankyu Choi wrote:
> I just stopped the ZEO server and found all that 2G memory it was using
> didn't free up at all.
>
> I'm running ZEO 2.01b1
>
> Leaking?

I'm not an expert at linux kernel internals, but AFAIK even if the
server is leaking, the kernel should reclaim the space when the process
is stopped.
You wrote you use kernel 2.4.0, that's very brave I'd say. I know it's
easier said than done, but you better first install an newer linux
kernel before looking at the zope stuff. You get at least the promise of
a saner out-of-memory behavior.
Other things you can do are setting process limits, so that the ZEO/zope
servers cannot bring down the whole machine.
There's also a zope specific product from chrism, autolance (search
zope.org) which makes zope monitoring and restarting itself, when some
conditions (memory etc.) are met.

HTH,
oliver