[Zope] Re: Error -> A TaintedString cannot be pickled

Josef Meile jmeile@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:26:05 +0200

> Tainted strings are new in Zope 2.6 to make it more difficult
> that cross scripting bugs slip in.
>
> If you are lucky, there is an explicite conversion between
> a tainted string and a string. If not, you must make one in
> an External Method.

Thanks for your reply.

I just found this thread about TaintedStrings:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-coders/2002-August/001598.html

and my case was exposed there:

> Passing a TaintedString value from a DTML template to other objects such
> as Python code, External Methods, Python Scripts, etc, may cause them to
> break because they did not anticipate a TaintedString object.

Actually my case it's really uncommon, but as you see it can happen:
one of the users wanted to say that the dimmensions of something should be
minor than 1 m, so he wrote "< 1 m". Then come that exception.

One possible solution could be to convert all the "<" symbols to "&lt;". But
I was wondering if there is another way of dealing with this TaintedStrings
(appart of disabling the check, off course).

Regards,
Josef