[Zope] ProxyPass weirdness with Plone

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
21 Apr 2003 09:22:33 -0700

On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 21:01, Des Dougan wrote:
> Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> > I'm not sure what that would be, aside from making sure that the CMF- &
> > Plone-related products are actually installed.

To clarify... the above was in reference to your comment about copying
objects from the root folder... I wasn't sure what objects you meant.

> Well, if I have my main site in a folder below the Zope root, I assume
> that I'd have to tell it what content to place there, so in my case,
> using Plone, wouldn't it be necessary to create a Plone instance there?

Yes.

> If I decide to host a different domain in a separate folder, I would
> imagine that I would want a separate Plone setup for that domain?

Most likely

> Use the Virtual Host Monster's Mappings tab to cause your URLs to be
> rewritten if:
>
>      * You run a "bare" Zope without a front-end webserver like Apache.
>      * You have one or more folders in your Zope that you'd like to
> publish as "http://some.hostname.com/" instead of
> "http://hostname.com/a/folder".
>
> That sounds like they are both usable, but mutually exclusive.

You should infer an "and" between those bullet points.  VHM mappings are
only necessary if Zope is on 80 (running "bare") _and_ you want Zope to
do virtual host rewriting.

Running Zope behind Apache, VHM requires no configuration.  Just install
it and pass correctly-formed proxy requests... acquisition will do the
rest.

> I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here - I want to understand more of
> how to set Plone up before I get off on too many tangents.

Fair enough.  Once Plone works from:

server_ip:8080/path/to/plone

then you'll be ready to worry about getting your Apache setup right.

Dylan