[Zope] Accelerating images without proxy

Marc Burgauer marc@sharedbase.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:29:52 +0100

Hi

I have been asking about database cache parameters recently here. The
replies received recommended using squid as a reverse proxy. However, the
site I am trying to accelerate has large areas, which are password protected
and configuration of squid looks like a minor nightmare.

I have analysed the problem and I believe I could get a major boost if we
could just cache some images. There are about two dozen images, mainly logos
and navigation images that are used on almost every page. If I could just
cache these, that should help a lot.

(We are not in control of the HTML! Believe me, I do not consider this good
practice. But it was a major reason why we were able to convince the
customer to use Zope because it allowed for his preferred designers to do
the HTML; we only did the "functionality".)

I looked into the various internal mechanisms (Accelerated HTTP Cache
Managers, Cache-tab on image object) and read the help. But I'm still not
sure if this is helpful. The help text constantly tells me that some
operations using cache can backfire and become more expensive.

Can anybody share any light on this issue, please?

Cheers

Marc