[Zope] Newbie - passing a list to an External Method

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:50:03 +0200

Ashley Lloyd wrote:
>> Longer term, you'll want to read up on debugging in Python.
>
> Agreed!
>
>> For now, let's just kludge something together.
>
> Thank you, yet again
>
> I put your code into the External Method, and called it just before the
> loop.
> If I return lines_check(lines), then it just sends back:
>
> lines is type: lines has value:

Look at the source of the page where you see that, if your browser tries
to interpret the return value as html, this will hide things like <type
'bla'>.
Oh, and like Chris, I'm quite sure that "lines" is not what you think it
is. If you want to prove or disprove dylan's theory about an imported
module poluting the namespace - which I doubt, for one because you said
it worked if you manually assign lines in the external method - just
rename it to i.e. my_lines, IOW:

my_lines = REQUEST.lines

and so on.

Another thing, I think you are calling your External Method now like.
<dtml-call "REQUEST.set(.., lines=mylines).

... hmm, wait

Is mylines the name of the python script you mentioned?

That would explain everything.

Try REQUEST.set(.., lines=mylines()).

HTH,
oliver