[Zope] Newbie - passing a list to an External Method

Passin, Tom tpassin@mitretek.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:07:13 -0400

[Ashley Lloyd ]
>=20
> Chris,
> Thanks for your email, much appreciated.
>=20
> I've tried as you suggested, and again I can retrieve the=20
> values from within=20
> the External Method (if I just return fileID or lines,=20
> without actually=20
> trying to do anything with them, it works fine), but if I=20
> attempt to get at=20
> the strings inside the lines variable, it fails.
>=20

I think you should check to see what parameters are really getting
passed to your external method.

You could write them to a file, or return them to zope, something like
this -

def test(lines):
   return `lines`

In Zope, you can display the return value with=20

<dtml-var "test(lines)">

(assuming of course that Zope knows what "lines" is, which you think you
have handled already).  If "lines" is truly a list of strings, the
display will show that.  If it is not, it is no wonder your code is not
working right.

Let us know the results.

Cheers,

Tom P