[Zope] upgrades and stability

J Cameron Cooper jccooper@jcameroncooper.com
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:57:06 -0500

>If we are going to migrate to another Zope release, now would be a good
>time.  What advice would you give.  Zope 2.6.1 would be the obvious choice
>although if Zope 2.7.X will be released soon it might be another
>possibility.
>
>Any advice?  hidden gotchas?  release schedule intelligence?

Zope 2.6 series is good, esp. with regard to caching. But:

I've had a few problems with moving old ZODBs (originating at 2.3 or so)
to 2.6.1 from 2.5.1. If you're doing something similar, make sure that
your testing of the new version really hits the server hard, or you
won't expose the problem until you're live. Which is bad.

If you do run into this, well, I don't know how to fix it yet. Someday
I'll export/import everything to a new ZODB (possibly on
DirectoryStorage) and see it that works. I expect it will.

Also, some ZClasses have problems with the move, but that (and the
solution) is well documented. On the list, at least.

Other than that, I've found 2.6.1 to be a fine release. As to 2.7, well,
I wouldn't anticipate it. Sure, it'll come out the day you deploy 2.6.1,
but that's just how it goes.

          --jcc