[Zope] import Zope ...

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:45:17 -0700

Hi,
I've been working on my Zope product almost
entirely through the ZMI (it's pretty GUI intensive),
but I'm reaching a point where I need to refactor
and make a lot of modifications, so I've just started
to work from the Python interpreter.

I've set up the environment correctly (the same as
I set up in "start" -- I have an "Instance" style
installation of Zope), shutdown the service (to avoid
a ZODB conflict), and got as far as:

>>> import Zope
>>> import Products
>>> from Interface import *

successfully.

I've been using the Interface tools to examine my classes,
but I really want to examine the instances.  I can create
new instances in memory by just calling the constructor:

>>> my_instance = my_class()

but I have some (time) expensive stuff installed into
the ZODB already -- it'd be nicer to just access the
existing instances.  Is that possible?  Because so far,
I haven't found where the "Root Folder" is imported.
My understanding is that once I have the root object
to the ZODB/OFS that I'll be able to access everything
else by examining attributes, but I don't know how to
get the top level object.  (And I assume I must be able
to access it, because why else would there be a
conflict?)

I figure I'm probably not looking at the right documentation
for that, and hoping someone on the list knows.

Thank you,
Terry