[Zope] Site on a CD for Windows?

Marc Burgauer marc@sharedbase.com
Mon Aug 4 09:39:32 EDT 2003

Hi

We have developed a vertical market web solution for a reseller. We have
also developed a demo web site for the reseller to show potential customers
what the solution can do for them.

After a few weeks of sales activities, it shows that a lot of their
prospects do not yet have internet access. So when visiting them, the
reseller can not demonstrate the solution.

The sales people have asked us, if it would be possible to have the site on
a CD. I can see two ways of doing this:

1.) Create a "static" version of the site that shows a set of pages
illustrating what the solution could do. This would of course fail to demo
the solution working.

2.) The more interesting thing would be to create a CD with a working
version of Zope for Windows.

As we're totally UNIX, I have absolutely no idea if this would be possible.
I know Zope works Windows. What I don't know is how difficult is it to get
it running. Can a normal Windows user (with no access to the Administrator's
account) double-click a single .exe to get the sever running? (The sales
people are not technical!) I envision a scenario like this:

- Insert CD into PC
- Run an "automatic installer" (Everything pre-configured, maybe with the
exception as to where the files are installed to)
- Open location of installation and double-click an .exe file
- Open browser an point at 127.0.0.1:8080 (or something alike)

My questions:
Has somebody created something like this for Windows and could point me
towards what I need to do?
Is there free software to create the installer, ideally supporting an easy
way to un-install as well?
What requirements exist on Windows? (In other words, what can go wrong?)

Cheers

Marc