[Zope] xml-rpc question

Kevin Carlson khcarlso@bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 4 19:27:08 EDT 2003

Paul Winkler wrote:

>I'm not clear - are you worried about each xml-rpc call timing out, or the
>whole batch of them?
>If the latter, you could just call RESPONSE.write() after
>each xml-rpc call.

I'm worried about the entire batch, actually.  A single xml-rpc call
would generate multiple requests to other sites.  Each of those requests
will return a document that is added to a folder and catalogued.

>If the individual calls DO take too long, you might try
>working with threads (tricky!). Or run it as a separate process,
>which could be launched by an external method e.g. using os.system("command &")
>to put the separate process in the background.
>This way, the external method can return immediately.

I'd like to try working with threads to see what is possible, but I'm
not sure where to begin with threads and Zope.  I've also concluded that
I can make a single xml-rpc call to get data on the additional calls and
then call each one individually as an additional xml-rpc call.  This
would be much less likely to timeout.  I'd like to try and do this with
threads, but after googling on threads in Zope and getting back hundreds
of results on "discussion threads" I am hoping someone can point me to a
resource on this...

Thanks,

Kevin