[Zope] Re: ExternalEditor doesn't launch my .doc files (solved)

Josef Meile jmeile@hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 09:33:32 EDT 2003

> ergh... did anyone ever figure out exactly what was going on here?  I'm
> I'm now getting the same error-- despite uninstalling and reinstalling the
> helper app on windows multiple times.
>
> I'm running Zope 2.6.2b4, CMF 1.3.1, Plone 1.0.3, EE 0.7
> Zope's on linux, though I'm (obviously, I suppose) trying to open Word
> documents on a Windows 2000 machine.
>
> any hints would be greatly appreciated....
Hi Larry,

I think there is a problem with the binaries included in the helper app
because
I had to install it as follows (please note that I test two windows 2000
machines
and both of them had the same problem):

1) Install the helper app
2) Install python 2.2.x
3) Install the Python Win32 Extensions for Python 2.2

It seems that the last step replaces the dlls included with zopeedit and
repares the
problem; however, there is other problems you should know:

1) If you exit from word, excel, or powerpoint without saving changes
before, it
doesn't matters if you answer the question "Do you want to save changes?"
with
"Yes", your document won't be saved into the ZODB. So, you had better save
before exiting.

2) You had better not work with Excel documents. The first time it will work
perfectly, but when trying to edit the sheet a second time, you will get an
error
message:

"FATAL ERROR: (-2147418111, 'Call was rejected by calle.', None, None)

and if you are working with webdav locks, the lock won't get away, even if
you
restart zope.

I have already wrote an e-mail to the author, but I didn't get an answer. I
guess
it's difficult to fix it since it seems that Microsoft doesn't follows the
Webdav standard.

Anyway, if you're wondering about my "ZopeEdit.ini", here it's:

[general]
editor = "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" "%1"
save_interval = 1
cleanup_files = 1
use_locks = 0
always_borrow_locks = 1
reload_on_save = 1

[content-type:application/msword]
extension=.doc
editor = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" "%1"

[content-type:application/vnd.ms-excel]
extension=.xls
editor = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

[content-type:application/x-msexcel]
extension=.xls
editor = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

[content-type:application/vnd.ms-powerpoint]
extension=.ppt
editor = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\POWERPNT.EXE" "%1"

[content-type:application/x-mspowerpoint]
extension=.ppt
editor = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\POWERPNT.EXE" "%1"

Regards,
Josef