[Zope] Truncation Reading from ODBC

Stefan Drees sdrees at sdrees.de
Fri Aug 8 11:02:19 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 04:04:14AM +0200 - a wonderful day
					- Jerry Westrick wrote:
> I'm trying to read (and later probably write) large strings to a
> postgress database.
>
> I'm using the egenix ODBC adapter, and the unix ODBC postgress driver.
>

> When I read a column with 20,000+ characters I only get the first
> 8194 characters.
>
> Is this:
> 1) a Zope restriction?
No. No I guess not (see below first)

> 2) a UnixOdbc restriction?
No. I guess not (see below first)

> 3) a egenix ODBC restriction?
No. I guess not (see below first)

> 4) an ODBC protocol restiction?
No. I guess not (see below first)

What about PostgreSQL. Which Version?
A short glimpse at the online postgresql manual - namely at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/datatype-character.html
yields:
"""Note: Prior to PostgreSQL 7.2, strings that were too
long were silently truncated, no error was raised.
"""
Ok, looking at the online docs of one of those prior versions
is left as an exercise to the poster. But since such a few kilobyte
limit isn't exactly what everyone likes, I wouldn't be to surprised,
if the exact amount is nurried somwewhere ...

Are those 20000+ characters really in the database? Hint:
psql is a friend.

All the best,
		Stefan Drees.
--
Stefan Drees, sdrees at python.net, www.sdrees.biz
Fingerprint = 516C C4EF 712A B26F 15C9  C7B7 5651 6964 D508 1B56