[Zope] Zope caching method results??

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Aug 12 22:31:53 EDT 2003

John Toews wrote at 2003-8-11 16:22 -0500:
 > I have an external method that is using a class I've written. The class
 > uses another module (dbxml for the Berkeley XML database).
 >
 > It _appears_ as if Zope is caching function results from the dbxml
 > module. The data doesn't change, but the memory address does.
 >
 > tmpXmlResults = self._manifest.queryWithXPath(resourceXpath,
 > self._manifestcontext)
 >
 > The code runs perfectly if run outside of Zope simply on the command
 > line.
 >
 > Is there any sort of caching that Zope does of non-product Python
 > objects? Or function results? Etc.?

I am quite convinced that Zope does not automatically cache the
result of External Method calls.

However, I remember to have read a similar complaint to yours in the mailing
list. Thus, they may be a low probability of a bug.

Much more likely is that there is some HTTP cache that caches your
page and does not consult Zope at all.
Such problems are easily uncovered when you request your browser
to load the page without using any caches.

Dieter