[Zope] RevisionManager

Robert Jean robertjean2 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 15:44:58 EDT 2003

Hello:

I have recently tested RevisionManager 1.3.2 on
Windows. RevisionManager integrates Zope with the
versioning system CVS. Apparently, the primary target
of this product is UNIX, but the product author says
that some people have reported using it successfully
on Windows. I would be very interested to hear from
these people, because my experience shows a different
picture. Also, if some people have run into problems
on UNIX as well, I would love to hear from them.

On Windows, IMHO, RevisionManager qualifies for a
“pre-beta” status, at least at the functional point of
view. But there is substantial work behind it, and
fixing it might not require too much effort.
Therefore, I would be delighted if someone who is
experienced (maybe Philipp, the product author) could
direct the effort. I would be happy to contribute.

Basically, I can sometimes import / check in /
checkout to / from a remote CVS repository using
pserver. But:

1) GIF and JPEG images will default to the "File"
type. Regardless of changing the file type to "Image"
or keeping it to "File", the image will be corrupted
(the file always has 462 bytes). Importing images
reports an error "Error Type: AttributeError, Error
Value: content_type" error). But the file goes to the
repository anyway and can be retrieved uncorrupted
with the CVS command line tool. So, something must go
wrong when the image file is imported into the ZODB.

2) Even more worrying, I often get KeyError and
AttributeError errors when manipulating objects of any
type (DTML methods, files, ...). After that, the
object becomes unusable. I think that RevisionManager
is the source of these problems because with the CVS
command line, everything works smoothly.

3) I have a problem when importing ZSQL methods, but
it might very well have nothing to do with the
product. It is maybe due to the dependency of the
method on another object such as a connection. Maybe
the same type of problem we face when importing
objects in zexp format.

Also, I have observed is that the path to the CVS
executable must not contain any space, and quotes will
not help (e.g. "c:\program files\cvsnt\cvs.exe" will
result in "c:\program not found").

There are probably still a lot of issues, but there
are the ones I am facing now.

Robert