[Zope] Displaying a pdf file.

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Fri Aug 15 23:58:33 EDT 2003

Michael Guerrero wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Specifically I am trying to do the following:
>
> I have and existing application that does the following.
>   1) user enters data then hits save
>   2) data is stored in a oracle database
>   3) the data plus some calculates are displayed back to the user in html
>
> This works fine however I have a new requirement for #3.  Instead of displaying the data back to the user in html, I am to take the data add disclamer pages (total 4-5 pages) and display it to the user in pdf format.
>
> To do this I plan to do the following after the user hits 'save':
>   1) save the data in the oracle database
>   2) call and external procedure that will run an oracle report to create the report,
>      save it as a pdf file on the local unix file system (ex. 'myfile.pdf').
>   3)?? THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP ??

Why save the pdf file? You could just emit it on the fly inline or as an
attachment down the http link to the user.

If your need for a beautiful document is slight, you can reuse your html
with the server-side utility htmldoc. Or send the data back from Oracle
in XML and do an XSL:FO transformation on it to create PDF (actually, I
don't know whether this would be fast enough).

As you say, you don't need to use Zope.

hth

--
Mark Barratt