[Zope] How to install a new product in Zope 2.7

Chris McDonough chrism at zopemafia.com
Sat Aug 16 17:07:00 EDT 2003

The product is failing to initialize and Zope refuses to start as a
result.  Nothing is written to the log due to the decision to defer
logging to a file until after we've been able to do some houskeeping
(which, ironically, is vital under UNIX but totally unnecessary under
Windows).

In any case. we just need to see the error messages to understand what's
happening.  What's happening is that Python isn't printing the messages
to the console because it's using "pythonw.exe" which (I think)
suppresses standard error output instead of "python.exe".

Change the line in runzope.bat that says

@set PYTHON=c:\some\path\pythonw.exe

@set PYTHON=c:\some\path\python.exe

Then start up a DOS box and run runzope.bat again from the DOS box (dont
try to run it by clicking the "start zope in a console" link in the
start menu).  You should see some error messages print to the console.
If you don't we'll go back to the drawing board.

FWIW, the lack of adequate error reporting under this circumstance is a
real issue and needs to be fixed.  For now, let's just try to find

- C