[Zope] Re: Zope application offline - how to applyalicense ptotection?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 18 10:06:55 EDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 12:11:38AM +0200, Jaroslav Lukesh wrote:
[...]
| You need to not allow login to that console to work. You need to add prompt
| password for singleuser mode (in Linux). Then getting local console is
| impossible (if you does not have floppy,CD, USB and bootable NIC) for any
| intruder.

Assuming, of course, that the intruder doesn't have the option of
opening up the case and fiddling with the hardware (for example adding
a floppy drive or moving the hard drive to a "slave" position in a
machine he does have root access to).

One of my roommates bought a used PC from a friend of his at the
beginning of the summer.  After bringing it to our apartment, he
couldn't boot up because the BIOS password his friend told him wasn't
working.  No problem -- I simply popped the cover on the case, found
the reset jumper for clearing the BIOS password and all was good.  :-D

-D

--
A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/