[Zope] using ExternalFile and Plone

J Cameron Cooper jccooper at jcameroncooper.com
Tue Aug 26 19:20:16 EDT 2003

> Does anyone have any experience using the ExternalFile product in
> conjunction with Plone?  I've successfully made some minor
> modifications to it (added a few additional properties) and it works
> fine through the management interface, however I need to allow my
> users to upload new ExternalFiles without using the ZMI.
>
> What appears to be happening is that when attempting to access the
> manage_addObjectViaGui() function while not in the ZMI zope gives me a
> 404 error.  Since it works fine through the ZMI I'm guessing this is a
> permissions issue?
>
> I'd really appreciate any input or insights on this, it's a big part
> of a co-op project I'm working on that's coming down to the wire.

Probably your problem is that you're not using manage_addProduct. See
the ZopeLabs recipe

http://www.zopelabs.com/cookbook/1012279676

However, check out

http://www.zope.org/Members/jeffsasmor/CMFOptions

That'll give you a CMF-ized version, or help you CMF-ize ExternalFile if
it doesn't do what you want.

FWIW, CMF-izing a product is basically

1) creating a new type, so that it is integrated into the CMF
factory/types machinery, and
2) creating the skins to support adding, editing, and display

             --jcc