[Zope] [Newbie] Source configuration management with zope

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Thu Aug 28 12:12:35 EDT 2003

Gérard Oogle wrote:

>     * when I am developing my little prototype, the code and the data it
>       manipulates end up in the same Data.fs

Yep.

>     * I don't know where to code my second iteration of this prototype

Why not in the same ZODB? Maybe in a difference folder? Maybe on a different
Zope instance?

>       as soon as I will have shown it to business expert I working with
>       and that he will start populating it with his data:
>           o should I use Zope version management features and work on
>             the *same* Data.fs than my business guy?

NEVER use Zope versions...

>           o Does that mean that I cannot work locally on my machine and
>             that I have to be connected to the server us 2 guys have
>             access to?

No, look at products like ZSyncer

>           o if so, how can I tag each versions or better how can I
>             package these versions to be able to deploy them in
>             different Data.fs?

look at products like ZSyncer

> To put it in a nutschell, I guess I am wondering how logic and data can
> be separated in Zope.

Easily, but by choice rather than by force. Have a look at CMF and see how it
does this. You can also do this more simply by having all code in Python Scripts
/ ZPT's and storing all your data in a different object type. Zope's power is
that you're free to choose this in terms of what is best for your application.

> Last thing, in that same frame of mind, since zope.org itself was
> recently upgraded, could somebody please detail us the various steps
> followed for that migration?

Go read all the posts in the zope-web at zope.org archives...

Chris