[Zope] [Newbie] Source configuration management with zope

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Aug 28 21:55:45 EDT 2003

Gérard Oogle wrote at 2003-8-27 11:23 -0700:
 > To put it in a nutschell, I guess I am wondering how logic and data can
 > be separated in Zope.
 > I guess also that I am not the first dinosaur the zope community is
 > welcoming.
 > I would be grateful if someone could:
 >
 >     * either shoot me a couple of links explaining how to do that
 >     * or help me refactor my views on the world (and I guess that a
 >       couple of links would do it also).

We use CMF (or Plone).

Logic is in the file system (via "FSDirectoryView"), manage
and distributed via CVS.

Content is in the ZODB.

Configuration, too, is (mostly) in the ZODB.
It is synchronized from development to QA to Production
via "ZSyncer".

There remain a few edges cases:

  Some objects do not allow to separate configuration
  from content. The indexes in the catalog
  are the prime example. We have to update them
  by hand in the QA and Production instances.

  The ZSyncer author is working on an extension
  to handle such cases as well.

Dieter