[Zope] Re: PCGI - what's it do

Dylan Reinhardt zope at dylanreinhardt.com
Fri Dec 5 11:11:32 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 07:45, Gregory Dudek wrote:
> I think the purpose of PCGI has already been made apparent.
>
> I wanted to comment that I think it is far from obsolete.

You may feel that there are still cases where PCGI is useful.  But it
isn't actively maintained and isn't slated to remain a part of standard
Zope.  It's deprecated for sure, but call it what you will.

> There are
> significant
> reasons for wanting to run zope and apache in combination,

This isn't a special case. IMO, you should *always* put something in
front of Zope in a production environment.

>  and PCGI is
> very desirable in such cases.

But not, apparently, the first choice of most people who set up services
in this way. YMMV, of course.

>   Reasons for this range from support of
> legacy
> CGI or PHP applications

Apache does this without any help from Zope.

> , to the need to maximize performance on
> large static objects (for which I find zope performance is still not
> very impressive).

Agreed.  That's why I serve static objects directly from Apache whenever
possible/practical.  It's quite easy to set up Apache to serve certain
directories from the filesystem and hand off everything else to Zope.

FWIW,

Dylan