[Zope] problems with tests in Zope/CMF

Pascal Poizat poizat at lami.univ-evry.fr
Fri Dec 5 12:13:39 EST 2003

Hello

I am trying to write a document on building a Plone site for research
labs (a step-by-step doc).
Having done some experiments with old versions of Plone or Zope, I
realized that some products were difficult to install (due to lots of
dependencies ...) with an old python such as the one in Zope 2.6.2.

Well, I decided to get all last versions :

zope 2.7b3 (source)
CMF 1.4.2  (tarball, I already had it)
Plone 2.0 RC2 (tarball, I already had it)
and ... Python 2.3.2 (source)

First of all, please note that I use now (it was different with zope
2.6.2 which had its own python + libs) my "system" python.
By the way, I wonder if this is a problem ...

Well let's now come to my REAL problem : tests.

1 - PYTHON

Well, I first installed python 2.3.2 from sources
and then did some tests :
cd /usr/lib/python2.3/test
python testall.py
-> everything is ok (but for some tests which seem to "normally" fail
under "Linux2" whatever it is and the NIS one).
Nice ... I now have a 2.3.2 python with working Tk modules and so on
(the last python I had installed from scratch, the 2.2.2 had some
problems due to my install process)

2 - ZOPE

I install it "locally" :
./configure
make instance
Which installs Zope in its own source directory. Moreover it seems to
use the "system" python by default (ie /usr/local/bin/python +
/usr/local/lib/python2.3 directory).

Then I go for some tests ...

export ZOPE=$HOME/Zope <- the install directory
cd $ZOPE
python test.py (very, 2219 tests, all is ok, 2/3 warnings)

but THEN it gets more complicated :

bin/testrunner.py -a -q -d $ZOPE/lib/python
and then ... VERY LONG, 2508 tests, 12 errors !! (all in zLOG by the
way), some warnings

Well I was quite puzzled then but ... well the ZMI seemed to work so ...
let's go for CMF !

3 - CMF

With comparison with python and Zope, a very newbie-friendly install
process :
mv CMF-1.4.2/CMF* $ZOPE/lib/python/Products
mv CMF-1.4.2/DCWorkflow $ZOPE/lib/python/Products

All seem ok under the ZMI but ... I decide to go for some tests to be
sure (I must be a masochist person ;)) )

cd $ZOPE
bin/testrunner.py -a -q -d $ZOPE/lib/python/Products
... (yes : VERY VERY long)
-> result ? 5833 tests (ok there is the CMF installed now)
but : 225 errors + 3 failures !!
(and lots of deprecation warnings)

4 - and Next ?

I've installed Plone 2.0RC. It works.
But ... all these failing tests make me ask myself if someday ... the
hidden bug will appear ! :))

Did I miss something in my way of testing ?

Pascal

--
Pascal Poizat
LaMI - UMR 8042 du CNRS / Universite d'Evry Val d'Essonne