[Zope] Re: Zope broken - can't restart

george donnelly list at zettai.net
Wed Dec 10 15:42:26 EST 2003

dennis at likebunnies.com (Dennis Godfrey) on 12/10/03 wrote:

>Thanks to Kirk Lowery, I have figured out why I could not start
>the zope server. This appears to be a debian problem, but perhaps
>others have it, too.
>
>In order to start zope, /var/lib/zope/instance/default/var needs
>to be owned by root with the sticky bit set. As soon as I made
>this change, there was much joy in our collab group.
>
>However, I am now unable to pack ZODB. That generates a 'permission
>denied' for trying to write to that directory. This is how I got
>into trouble in the 1st place - when I installed PloneCollectorNG,
>I got a 'permission denied' message and had to change ownership of
>that directory to zope.
>
>So, in order to start zope, the directory needs to be owned by root.
>In order to, for example, pack ZODB, the directory needs to be
>owned by zope.

its not especially advisable to run zope as root. you should run it as a
non-priv-ed user, eg create a new user zope and run it as that, then
chmod/chown all the zope stuff so its rwx etc etc zope.

<-->
george donnelly ~ http://www.zettai.net/ ~ "Quality Zope Hosting"
Shared and Dedicated Zope Hosting ~ Zope Servers ~ Zope Websites
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet ~ ICQ: 51907738 ~ Sales (USA): 1-866-967-3669