[Zope] zope freezes/halts after loading initial page

Geoffrey Jost gjost at janm.org
Wed Dec 10 17:00:26 EST 2003

Same thing happens when i try it directly from the server.

> If I remember correctly doesn't the wo_pcgi stand for "without PCGI"??
> If so that may be why PCGI isn't firing up.

Doh! of course you're right.  i don't need PCGI though, guess i was grasping
at straws.

In case this helps understand the problem, here's what i've tried so far:
- Tried installing RPM (i'm using RedHat 9.0).  this didn't work bc my
install has python 2.2.2.
- Tried installing binary.  got this problem (server not responding).
- Tried installing from source, with python-2.1.3 and zope-2.6.2.  put zope
in /usr/local/zope/Zope-[vernum,etc] and python-2.1.3 in
/usr/local/zope/python-2.1.3
- Was getting an "ImportError: No module named _socket" error.  Somebody on
the mailman list had the same err, and they suggested to uncomment the
"_socket socketmodule.c" line in Python-2.1.3/Modules/Setup and recompile.
The error hasn't reappeared.
- Checked Zope-2.6.2-src/start to make sure the .../bin/python pointed to
the 2.1.3 install instead of the 2.2.2 one.
- chowned the /usr/local/zope dir (and subdirs) to my user.

Zope still loads the first page, and then becomes totally nonresponsive.

Thanks again for your help/advice.
--geoff